For 2015

20 August

White Sand beach

White Sand beach

Over two months since the last update.  That’s a record. It’s usually far more frequent.  But there’s usually not too much happening on Koh Chang during the rainy season.  And this year is no exception.

In addition, I’ve been busy with non-Koh Chang related activities, mainly various other websites; some running and a few holidays elsewhere in Thailand and abroad.

This time of year is known in tourism circles as the Green Season, as Rainy season puts people off visiting.  It’s also Construction Season, the time of year when a hotelier’s mind turns to putting up new rooms as quickly as possible in order to have them completed for the start of the coming High Season.

This year, White Sand beach is ground zero for construction projects.  Two new hotels plus what will be the nicest beachfront bungalows on the island, plus a Makro superstore are are going up as I type.

More interestingly are the Paradise Beachfront Villas at KC Grande Resort.  You’re looking at around 8,000 Baht / night in High Season but for that you get a 54Sqm bungalow right on one of the best beaches on the island.

This rainy construction green season hasn’t been too wet.  Which is a problem, as along with most of Thailand, the rainfall this year has been far lower than average.   But the past few days have made up for part of the shortfall, whilst the days have been great – plenty of sunshine and blue skies, at night the thunderstorms roll in and there’s torrential rain for a couple of hours.  However, despite the overnight rain the sea is calm right now and very clear.  And , as the European summer holidays are drawing to an end, the beaches are all very quiet.  The photos below were all taken yesterday.

Rainy season sunshine

A few people have emailed or sent messages about my attempts at running, so some time in October or November, I’ll have a site about the joys of trying to run, repeatedly getting injured and taking part in some fun 10Km runs around  Thailand.  A few pics below from runs in Bangkok, Pattaya, Nakhon Nayok, Khao Prabatchang.   Next year is when I’ll try some longer distances first of those will be two trail races, the 25Km North Face trail race in Khao Yai in January and the 33Km Koh Chang trail race at the end of February.

The main new thing that’s being added to the site is some reviews of hotels from readers of this site who’ve stayed in them.  Over the past couple of months I’ve been asking people who like the site to write a review of a hotel they stayed in on Koh Chang.   I gave them an outline and structure and have been adding those to the site, quite a big job as I’ve got a around 100 to add.  But hopefully they’ll be of use to someone.

You’ll also see – if you are looking for ideas for hotels – there are new pages on :

The Best Luxury Hotels on Koh Chang – because you deserve the best.

A Few Value For Money Resorts – as not everyone wants, needs or can afford a 5* holiday

Top Small Resorts  – as some people prefer places where you arena name not a room number.

And David from the Sawadee Koh Chang site has done a run down of the resorts on Koh Chang who won big in Tripadvisor’s annual awards.

Leave a Comment