For 2014

8 October

Beach Koh Chang

Holidays over and back to Koh Chang for a couple of weeks of getting the guesthouse ready for the coming High Season.  It’s been grey and wet recently so I’ll add a more informative update in the next couple of weeks when good weather and me having free time coincide.

Whilst we were away, Koh Chang was hit by torrential rains, the resulting runoff knocked out the main bridge on the west coast of the island, destroyed and damaged homes of those living near rives and left the beaches covered in debris.  Three people including a German tourist died.  There are always some floods at the end of the rainy season, but this was the worst for 50 years.

I added a couple of news reports of the floods and subsequent clean up operation here & here

These photos of the flood and aftermath are taken from various Facebook pages.  As you’ll see there was a concerted effort by the local authorities to get the road fixed, beaches cleaned up and help to people who lost homes as quickly as possible.  The bridge was fixed within a couple of days and traffic was able to use it again.  Business owners and residents donated food and clothing to the newly homeless.  Within 10 days the beaches had been cleaned.

If you’ve booked the Amari Emerald Cove Resort, you’ll notice that it’s now simple the Emerald Cove Resort.  Same owner, same manager, same staff – but no longer under the Amari brand.

Meanwhile elsewhere in Klong Prao the island’s newest, and by the looks of things, nicest ‘flashpacker’ resort has opened a stone’s throw from Klong Porao beach.  Check out ‘Pajamas Hostel

Good news for the Russian Orthodox Christian community on Koh Chang.  The Thailand branch of this popular religion is currently building a new franchise which will be Koh Chang’s first church, in the name of everyone’s favourite saint . . . St. Sergius of Radonezh. The 10 Million Baht project is being financed entirely by donations.  More details of how to donate money to make God ( Your God, the good one – not the evil one foreigners & terrorists believe in ) love you more can be found on the church website

If you’re an animal lover and want to do something to help stray dogs on Koh Chang, please see Happy Dogs Koh Chang Facebook page. It may not make God love you more, but it’ll please me.   Tina and friends do a lot of good work not only feeding strays and taking care of injured animals but also spaying and neutering them.  This of course requires donations – from lovely people like you.  Also, if you happen to be here on holiday and also happen to be a vet or veterinary nurse and would like to help out in a more ‘hands on’ manner . . . see below.

happy-dogs

A common question I get is “Where do you like to go for your holidays?”  Here’s a few photos from this year’s trip when we did a couple of nice drives around Austria, Switzerland and north of Italy.  A month with too much food, wine and proper beer – which may account for the 5Kg I’ve gained.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago, a video was uploaded onto Facebook.  It went viral in Thailand & quickly because the most viewed video about Koh Chang ever in the history of the internet.  Over 110,000 Facebookers ‘Liked’ it.  Over 50,000 commented on it and 24,000 shared it.

In total it now has over 1,800,000 views.

You’re probably now thinking – ‘Wow – this must be worth seeing. It’s got to be mindblowingly crazy &  cute and almost certainly involves kittens and (hopefully) nudity‘. Yet, you’d be mistaken and rather disappointed when you see it.  There’s no hilarious cats.  No celebrity boobs.  Not even a  Gangnam Style dance move or two. It’s a 3 minute video of a girl-fight outside the 7-eleven in Chai Chet.   Just an argument and a bit of a tussle.  A showdown between an angry wife and a scorned mistress with a few fists and kicks thrown by the husband as a bonus.  Go grab a drink and some popcorn and watch: Koh Chang’s Rumble in the Jungle

2 Comments

• Hi Ada

November is a good time to visit. The rainy season usually ends around late October. November is often dry & sunny.

• hi Ian, nice article, a bit of realness online finally :) with my husband thinking of visiting koh chang on the 2nd of november this year.Looks just amazing..but Is the weather normally OK at that time? Could you please advise as soo many website provide a different info! Thanks so much in advance!

Leave a Comment