How Much Does a Taxi Cost on Koh Chang?
Firstly, there aren’t any metered taxis on the island. The only public transport that is available are the white, shared pick up trucks which provide the only type of public transport on Koh Chang.
As soon as you get off the ferry the drivers will herd you onto them, packing as many passengers as possible into the back and piling luggage onto the roof. If you want to stand on the back, hold on tight. As when you start going over bumpy roads or up the hills you’ll find it much harder to cling on. People have fallen off the taxis in the past.
Inside every pick-up truck taxi ( a.k.a. ‘songtaew’ in Thai ) is a price list for fares. However this is only applicable for trips from the ferry pier to the west coast beaches and to Bangbao. Just because it costs 150 Baht to get from the ferry pier to Bangbao, doesn’t mean it will be cheaper to get from, say Klong Prao – half way down the West coast to Bangbao. The reason for this is simple,
it’s a welcome gift from the friendly drivers there are 12 to 14 of you squashed in like pigs being transported to the slaughterhouse in the rear of the pick up.
Ideally the drivers would love nothing more than to spend their day only picking people up from the pier, however they have to take turns to do this. There is a rota system in place and so with around 90 licensed songtaews on the streets each driver doesn’t get to the pier as often as they would like. Therefore, fares for trips along the west coast are higher than they should be given the distances involved.
The drivers should always take you for the prices on this page. And most drivers are OK, but there are always some who will want to try to rip people off. Prices can’t usually be haggled or negotiated. Getting them to go lower won’t be easy unless you have a large group and even then don’t expect a big discount as drivers aren’t supposed to undercut each other.
Shared Taxi Fares From/To The Ferry Piers
Prices are per person
|FROM / TO||TO / FROM||PRICE (THB)|
|Ao Sapporot or Centrepoint pier||White Sand beach||50|
|Kai Bae ( until KB Resort )||80|
|Lonely beach plus Seaview Resort, Porn’s bungalow and Siam Bay Resort||100|
|Klong Kloi beach||200|
If you want to avoid the hassle of taking a songtaew when you reach the island then booking either a ticket for a door to door shared minibus or arranging a private transfer are much more convenient. Information on shared and private transfers to Koh Chang.
Other Shared Taxi Prices
Prices are per person
|White Sand Beach||Chai Chet||50|
|White Sand Beach||Klong Prao||50|
|White Sand Beach||Kai Bae||50|
|White Sand Beach||Lonely Beach||100|
|White Sand Beach||Bailan||100|
|White Sand Beach||Bangbao||150|
|Chai Chet||Klong Prao||50|
|Chai Chet||Kai Bae||50|
|Chai Chet||Lonely Beach||100|
|Klong Prao||Kai Bae||50|
|Klong Prao||Lonely Beach||100|
|Kai Bae||Lonely Beach||50|
- These prices are for hopping on a songtaew that is moving and has other passengers on it.
- For ‘private hire’ i.e. you stop an empty songtaew and ask him to take you somewhere, prices should be the same but there will always be a two person minimum. Or if you are alone, you pay double.
- Expect fares to at least double late night.
- Yes, I know some destinations aren’t on there – eg Pearl beach & Klong Kloi beach. For Pearl beach expect to pay the price for Chai Chet or White Sand – whichever is greater. For Klong Kloi, same as Bangbao but add on ( usually ) 50 Baht / person depends on the driver & your negotiating skills.
- No, they don’t go down the east coast and to convince one to talk you to Salakphet will be quite expensive i.e. 1,000 to 1,500 Baht or so. But there are three services from the ferry piers to Salakphet at 09:00, 12:00 and 15:00.
- As the songtaews don’t run down the east coast of the island the price for private, all day hire, to go round the island is 3,000 Baht – negotiable.